Saturday, March 9, 2013

Country Mouse, City Writer

Right now I'm out in the country and experiencing cognitive dissonance. In my imagination, the country is like this:


In reality, I'm more like this...


In the summer you can go raspberry picking or swim in the creek. But in the winter, well, you can be cold. Or you can be inside. And I'm fine being on my computer writing all the time, but I'm around other people, and they don't really understand that all of my thoughts live in Scrivener/Pinterest/Twitter. Which is understandable. But it means that if I sit down to try to write, everyone else takes that as a cue to engage me in conversation.

Speaking of which, time to go.


What about you? Are you a city mouse or a country mouse?

4 comments:

  1. Total city mouse. Though it is nice to escape to the country every now and then! Just depends on where in the country, mountains awesome, barrin flatlands not so much, and who I'm with. I prefer my country with the city close by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, the mountains would be wonderful (at least in my mind they sound beautiful...). I'm in those lovely barren flatlands right now.

      Delete
  2. I live in the suburbs, the best of both worlds! I have the attention span of a goldfish, so I like keeping my options open. However, I must admit that the idea of becoming a hermit and holing up somewhere in the middle of the woods sounds appealing some days (as long as there's still internet access)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The suburbs get a bum rap sometimes, but I like the suburbs! Like you say, best of both worlds.

      True, the country would probably be very different if there was nobody here with me...

      Delete