Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What's your type?

I was watching a video the other day that mentioned something I've thought about before - the fact that a lot of us date the same person over and over with slight variations.

Most people will immediately deny this. I used to be one of these people, actually. All of the men I've dated have been in very different fields, they've looked wildly different, and they've all been fairly normal... But then I realized, no, wait. I'm not a special snowflake after all. I've dated The Nice Guy over and over again, with varying shades of authenticity.

Why do we do this? Are we attracted to a certain type of person on a subconscious level, drawn to the kind of personality that can come the closest to fitting together with our jagged-edged puzzle pieces? Or do we simply never recover from our first bad breakup, and spend the rest of our dating lives trying to fix our mistakes? Maybe some of us are just stubborn.

I'm not sure, but I do know how this phenomenon tends to be represented in fiction. Over and over again I see stories about women who date the same "wrong for them" guys and then, when they meet The One, have to broaden their horizons and get over their "type". While this is always fun, I'd like to see a story or two about a woman who meets a man that transcends his type to become perfect to her, in spite of her worries about repeating her mistakes. Something to keep in mind for the future!

What about you? Do you date the same person over and over again, or do you think it's all ridiculous typecasting?

And here's the video, if you were curious. It's definitely worth a look.

1 comment:

  1. To be honest I don't really understand when people go for a "type." In that case it seems like they're more after just having a significant other and less interested in how that person positively affects your life. I guess my "type" is someone that loves and cares for me!

    -BB

    ReplyDelete