Monday, September 16, 2013

Best Laid Plans

Finding the best time to write... also known as just finding TIME to write.

Insanity is supposed to be doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In that case... uh... I definitely don't keep expecting to write a ton of words on weekends. Nope! Not me. Because that would make me insane, apparently. Whoops.

The problem with time off is that you tend to use it to get other things done: errands, laundry, getting married. You know, normal stuff. Plus even if you make Butt-in-Chair plans, nobody else knows that, and feels free to invite you out to do fun stuff. Or does wanting to see the new Riddick movie instead of write make me a bad author?


Some people work well with consistent word count goals every single day, and some people write on and off in huge spurts. I'm somewhere in between; I've been known to churn out 5 or even 10k in a single night, but I wrote Detect Me by writing 3k every single day for a couple months.

I'm a work-in-progress when it comes to this. Maybe someday I'll have a set routine that enables me to be like that woman I read about who writes 5k every single day. Right now it seems like I have every distraction in the world, with mixed results. A week ago I wrote 3k in a day... I think I've totaled 300 words for the rest of the week.

I have today off. Maybe I'll write a ton tonight! Hope springs eternal, apparently.

When/how much do you guys write?

4 comments:

  1. Even with a day off and the best intentions, I frequently don't tend to actually write much until the evening. I seem to get my most word mileage from around 11 pm until 2 am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be writing now...
    I tend towards night owl-ism. Sometimes on my days off if I have no errands or housework or plans to be socialable I can get some writing done in the middle of the day or early evening. Otherwise it's 9pm til I run out of steam. On a good night I can put up 5k. I usually do between 2 and 2.5k. Or if I'm editing, 1 or 2 chapters. 3 or 4 on a good night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9pm is early for me! If I could do that much consistently that would be awesome. I'm jealous.

      Delete